Student Ministry Pastor Job Description
Specific Position Profile
In this season of Grace Community Church, broadly and within the Student Ministry specifically, we are most eager for candidates to apply who find themselves in the descriptions below. Candidates should clearly be able to demonstrate their giftedness and experience in these areas in a variety of ways.
- Dynamic teacher of God’s Word: The Bible is too good, beautiful, and true to be boring. We are looking for a Student Ministry Pastor who can teach God’s Word with dynamism & age-appropriateness in both large and small group settings to 7th - 12th grade students with a focus on application, answering the question “What relevance does the Bible have for my daily life?” with compelling accuracy.
- Leader of leaders: The work of ministry is too much for any one person. Even Jesus had help, and so we are looking for a Student Ministry Pastor who can “equip God’s people for works of service” (Ephesians 4:12). Someone who hates silos, loves teams, and is constantly raising up others to replace themselves.
- Sees and pursues those “outside”: No one is too far gone, no one is beyond the possibility of God’s abundant and incredible grace. We are looking for an outward-oriented Student Ministry Pastor with the unique ability to connect with any and all students, and a desire to grow student ministry at Grace both in breadth and depth.
Title: Student Ministry Pastor
Reports To: Lead Pastor
Status: Full Time
Compensation: $45,000 to $50,000 annual salary, plus benefits (based on experience and education)
Proposed Start Date: May 2021
- Oversee and provide point leadership to all aspects of Student Ministry programming, encompassing 7th -12th grade students
- Provide excellent and dynamic Bible teaching in both large and small group contexts
- Recruit, develop, and empower volunteers to assist and lead in the work of the ministry
- Point the Student Ministry intentionally outward, creating a friendly and welcoming environment for all students (passion for the community)
- Shepherd students to actively engage in their faith journey
- Plan and facilitate programs, events, and opportunities for students
- Build relationships and healthy connections with students, parents, and volunteers
- Encourage and equip parents as the primary resource for students
- As a member of the Grace Community Staff Team:
- Support and promote the mission, church-wide values, and bylaws of Grace Community
- Mission: Love God, love people, and lead others to do the same
- Values: Upholding Biblical Integrity, Pursuing Authentic Relationships, Reaching the Next Generations, and Owning the Mission
- Work according to the Grace Community Staff Values: Gracious Candor, Relational Attunement, Intentional Joy, Professional Responsibility, Humble Growth
- Hold true to the theology and beliefs of Grace Community Church as outlined in the Statement of Faith
- Participate in staff prayer and planning meetings
- Be accountable to the financial parameters established in the annual budget process
- Evidence of a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus
- Embrace Grace Community’s doctrine, mission, values, and philosophy of ministry
- Teachable and committed to personal spiritual formation
- Bachelor’s degree required, preference for Youth Ministry or Biblical Studies
- Master’s degree preferred, but not required
- Five years of ministry experience preferred, ideally directly with students
- Able to translate Biblical truth in a dynamic way to age appropriate audiences
- Desire to minister to the whole church and the whole family, not just students
- Personable, able to relate well with others
- Well-rounded personal skill set which includes the administrative and organizational components of a successful ministry team
Grace Community Church is a strongly evangelical, growing congregation of primarily middle-age to young adults with a strong teaching ministry. The successful candidate will be asked to go through the ministry credentialing process with the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches of Ft. Wayne, IN.
Affiliation: Fellowship of Evangelical Churches (FEC)
Year Established: 1987
Average Attendance: 500-600 in two identical Sunday morning services
Active Senior High: 30 (with room for growth both internally and externally)
Active Junior High: 20 (with room for growth both internally and externally)
Worship Style: Blended
Form of Government: Elder board
Facilities: 16,000 sq. ft. of original facilities completed in 1991; 35,000 sq. ft. of new worship, education, administrative, and fellowship space added in 2005.
Community Type: Newton (population 18,000) is a small city located a half-hour north of Wichita, KS (KS' largest city) in south-central Kansas in Harvey County (population 35,000). Area economy is semi-agricultural and manufacturing based. Two small Christian colleges are within the extended community.
Other Church Staff: Lead Pastor, Worship and Community Life Pastor, Executive Director of Ministries, Creative Arts Director, Children’s Ministry Director, Office Administrator, Nursery Director, other part time administrative staff, currently searching for Senior Associate Pastor
Annual Budget: $1 million